Saturday, July 15, 2017

Adventures in Steeking

I did it. I cut 5 months and countless hours of knitting struggling down the middle this weekend. And it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!

Countless YouTube videos said that as long as you used one method to anchor your stitches before you cut, you shouldn't have to worry about unraveling. I ended up using the crochet method, we've though I ended up machine sewing it later anyway since I was planning to install a zipper.

You can tell I don't crochet!
After I anchored the stitches it looked a little lumpy. All of the tutorials said to use the same color yarn to anchor the stitches as the yarn in the garment, however, I used a very obvious contrast color so that I could see the stitches easily when cutting. Since this was the first time I've ever steeked a sweater, I wanted to make sure I got it right the first time.
Then, the moment of truth, time to cut!

What I had when I was finished cutting:

Then I pinned in the zipper and ran it through the sewing machine. I only had to redo about two inches where the knitting stretched and caused the pattern to be misaligned while I was installing the zipper. Which is a huge improvement on the last project I put a zipper into!

So here it is with the zipper installed, inside view. I sewed the sides down where the sweater edges are crocheted.


All that is left is the sleeves!