Monday, June 6, 2016

Yarn Review Monday 29: Hikoo Caribou

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Hikoo Caribou

50 yards, 1.76 oz; 93 yards, 83 meters
  • 100% nylon









The project: a cupcake hat of my own design





What I liked: This yarn is really soft and light. It's also incredibly warm. For such a small looking skein, the yarn goes a long way and after using it for two hats I still have enough leftover for another one if I was motivated enough to make a third one. But it looks adorable for what I needed it for. Really gave me the look I was hoping to achieve.

What I didn't like: You need to be brave enough and confident enough to essentially knit blind. There is a lot of fluff involved and since the main strand that all the fluff is attached to is the exact same color as the yarn, when you drop a stitch it disappears into the abyss. And since it is so nice and light and fluffy, when it falls off the end of your double point needle you don't notice until there is seemingly no hope of getting your stitch back.


Affordability:  I don't remember how much I paid for this skein but it was somewhere in the $7-8 range.

Rating: I love the look, but I think it's a lot of work to knit with. I pity  the beginning knitter who thinks this is a good choice of yarn. It was frustrating to work with.
3/5 stars for this yarn.


For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.