Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Slow Progress

I haven't made much progress on my sock for a couple of reasons, the main one being that my usual knitting time during the day has been devoted to studying for my nursing boards, coming up on the third.
There has been progress none the less. Also, is there any reason why the top of the sock looks like it's three rows shorter than the bottom of the sock? Is that typical for a seeded rib stitch to have that effect? I know blocking will fix it but the OCD part of me wants it to look even!

The other reason I have limited knitting time is because my oldest had been asking to learn how to play cello since about August last year and last weekend we finally took the plunge and bought him one.

He loves it, and I love having an excuse to pull my cello out of the closet every day. It's so much fun having someone to play with and share something so important to me and I just can't say "No!" every time he asks for a lesson or practice time. He melts me.

If you provide your blog URL when filling out my comment form, it displays a link to your most recent post. I really like when people provide that so when I don't have time to stop by at Small Things, I can at least visit the sites of the people who took the time to comment. This is the reason why I use that particular comment program. Please consider sharing your website, I really appreciate it!
See more WIPs by clicking the links below: 
   

10 comments:

  1. I played the cello badly in grade school!!! But can appreciate the sounds of a well played cello. The sock will even out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful that you can teach him how to play! I love that. 3 of mine play guitar and/or piano and are self taught. I can't say no, no matter how busy I am, when they ask me to stop and listen to them play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To share a musical interest is wonderful. Good luck with your Nursing exams hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understandable reasons! I am not seeing what you are in your sock. My daughter is in her fourth year of violin and watching a child get music is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sock will still fit right when it's worn and as you say blocking will help. It's just that the stitch pattern is a bit tighter than the stockinette sections so it distorts it. Good luck with your studying :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a flute player and I know exactly what you mean about the thrill of having a child want to learn an instrument!! Totally worth less knitting on that gorgeous sock... Good luck also with your exams :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cello! I played the violin for many years. Every now and then, I pull it out, but I'm so rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sock looks wonderful to me! I just taught myself to knit a few weeks ago (I crochet) and after a couple of test swatches and a dishcloth I jumped directly to a lacy scarf with a leaf pattern - it's sink or swim, but I'm not ready to attempt socks yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slow knitting is the story of my life :-) The sock looks great, and I love the cello! I wish that I could play that or a violin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I do like the colours of the sock! My boy is just starting to show an interest in playing the piano rather than just making a noise, it's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete