Monday, August 3, 2015

The Results Are In

One thing I have really enjoyed with participating in our county fair for the last four years is the feedback I get after an experienced eye has scrutinized my projects. The other thing I really like is the objective affirmation that after all these years of knitting, I really am good at what I do in my free time for myself and others.
It's always disappointing when
they don't leave feedback.

This year has really humbled me in the ribbons I earned for my projects.
"Your stitches could be more even."

While the Reserve Grand Champion, Champion, and Blue ribbons on the dragon were an amazing surprise, my sewing projects yielded more surprising results.

I'm not an avid seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. I mostly devote my minimal sewing time to scrub tops to wear to work because scrubs are insanely expensive and what I make for myself would go for twice as much as solid color tops in the store. Not because of skill but because of the patterned fabric, such as Minnie and Mickey, or the super hero fabric, are a lot more when labeled as "licensed characters."

What I have a difficult time with are patterns requiring a little more skill, such as dresses (even children's dresses). "Easy" patterns still usually present a decent amount of struggle for me.

Shocked then, as you might imagine I was, when my mother in law texted me to let me know I had not only earned a blue ribbon on the baby dress I made, but also a Champion ribbon!

I thought the dress would do worst of all my sewing projects. I thought the sewing overall was sloppier, and the tension of my stitches was far too tight. It is really nice to know I was wrong about all that!
This year was my first year entering sewing projects, and I really had a boost in my self-confidence and personal perception of my sewing skills. This was a great learning experience and a great surprise.