Monday, July 27, 2015

Yarn Review Monday 28: The Fine Lime DK

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: The Fine Lime DK weight

  • Blend of merino, polwarth, silk, bamboo, and angelina (percentages not specified on label).
  •  87.88 grams, 3.1 ounces;  143 yards, 130.75 meters
  • Colorway: Antique Rainbow












The project: Ashley Infinity scarf


 


What I liked: This yarn is really soft and squishy. The colors are absolutely stunning, and while the photos don't do it justice, there is a subtle shimmer running through the entire project. This yarn is sold by an independent dyer and spinner, and your order is packaged with just as much care as your yarn was spun with. I've tried locally hand spun yarn where the yarn was labeled worsted but the weight was so uneven. The Fine Line skein I purchased is very even throughout the entire skein. (She does sell thick and thin skeins of you're into that though.) It also blocks really nicely without losing its bouncy, squishy quality.

What I didn't like: There is very, very little that this yarn leaves wanting. The only thing I can really say here is that I can't afford to buy this beautiful yarn whenever I want, even though I'm just drooling when I browse through the store on Etsy. More on that in the next section...


Affordability:  As much as I loved knitting with this yarn, it is way out of my normal yarn budget. My $15 discount brought the price down to $25. Most of her yarns  are priced between $30-45, unless you get a mini skein. I know I am paying for quality, it's apparent, and her packaging goes the extra mile with a handwritten thank you note, a candy, and a business magnet. You definitely get what you pay for.

Rating: I am definitely going to use this again. Maybe not soon, but I would absolutely love to support her business again. The Fine Lime yarns are hand spun, hand dyed, and are beautiful to work with. Even though I can't afford to buy it on a regular basis, I plan on being a repeat customer and I am definitely giving this yarn a 5 star rating.






For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.