Monday, June 1, 2015

Yarn Review Monday: Acrylics Edition 5

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable
 
  • 100% acrylic
  •  100 grams, 3.53 ounces;  279 yards, 255.1 meters
  • Colorway: Tide














 

The project: Pieces of Eight Mitts



What I liked: This yarn is really soft and lightweight. It is really warm despite how light it feels when you're wearing it. I think the colors gradients knit up really beautifully. It has a fuzz that almost makes it seem delicate, even though it is not. I did block these using a steam blocking technique that I read is effective for blocking acrylics. The tutorial said you can get rid of any minor flaws in the knitting. This worked great and almost erased the strange bulges from the sides of the swirls, which I think was a pattern flaw according to Ravelry notes from other users. But the point is that the yarn blocked out really well.

What I didn't like: I ended up frogging a seam a few times that I couldn't get right and this yarn is terrible with frogging. It hugs itself due to the fuzz factor and doesn't like to let go. The section of yarn I frogged got a little rough looking but was unnoticeable in the final product.


Affordability:  I bought mine at Walmart for $5/skein.

Rating: I am definitely going to use this again. It went far enough that I had leftovers from only one skein after the pair were finished.
The variations in the gradient knit up so beautifully and I am excited to use it for a kitty hat pattern my sister in law has been developing.

The price is right, the colors are really pretty, it blocks well, and it would be good for accessories and knit toys alike.










For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.