Monday, January 19, 2015

Yarn Review Monday: Acrylics Edition 4

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.



The yarn: Cascade Sateen Worsted
 
  • 100% acrylic
  •  100 grams, 3.53 ounces;  225 yards, 206 meters
  • Colorway: Goldenrod


















 


The project: Mudblood Cardigan from the Unofficial Harry Potter Knits magazine.

 

What I liked: This yarn is really soft and lightweight. It is really warm despite how light it feels when you're wearing it. I think the fabric it creates when knit up is very pretty. It looks smooth, and has a subtle sheen to it. Gorgeous color choices available; the goldenrod color I used was exactly what I had been looking for for a selfish sweater project.

What I didn't like: I have a list for this section unfortunately. Firstly, it is so slippery and splitty that I could not knit at a normal pace. The stockinette in 98% of the sweater caused what I'll describe as an unraveling (of the strand of yarn) on the purled side so that when I was knitting, it was as though I had individual tiny strands for each loop instead of a solid loop of yarn. It was super easy to miss just a strand or two, not notice for a row, and then have to go back and fix it. When joining skeins, the yarn was so slippery that after I had woven ends, finished, and was pinning to block, I found a hole in the front with an inch and a half long end where it had just slipped out of its place. I was incredibly irritated. Seething, in fact. The stitch definition the yarn provides does more to exaggerate flaws than show off your beautiful pattern.

(A note: I did block this garment. I used a steam blocking technique that I read is effective for blocking acrylics. The tutorial said you can get rid of any minor flaws in the knitting. This did not work when I attempted to block, although it was a first attempt at stream blocking and will assume the final outcome of the sweater was due to my novice blocking rather than blaming the yarn.)

Affordability:  I bought mine during a yarn sale on Craftsy.com for $3/skein.

Rating: I'm a diehard Cascade fan. I didn't realize this was an acrylic yarn until after I read the labels when it arrived in the mail (my fault. It's not the first time I've done that...). Honestly though, I'm going to have a hard time buying it again. This is the first and hopefully only time Cascade has/will let me down. 










For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.