Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What the Dickens?!

(That title describes how I felt trying to decipher the directions for the sleeves on this bad boy. Also, as you will read, it's a play on words...har har.)

I've been chugging away on my yellow cardigan. I finally looked up the sleeve short row directions on YouTube and I'm so glad I did. I've done short rows before on socks but the wrap-and-turn technique was new.
So after ripping out the sleeve a few times I'm finally at the ribbed cuff and will be starting my second sleeve soon.
Also, I will be replacing the buttons at some point since I hate the ones I have on currently. I'm thinking I'll look for some with blue flowers for a little contrast.

As for reading, we're all about the classics. I'm slowly working on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's  Sherlock Holmes. My four year old has been asking me to read out of his illustrated Dickens for children book. We gave it to him for Christmas. We've read Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, and we just finished Great Expectations last night. 

In two short weeks we've read 60% of his book. It's the best $20 I ever spent on a book and I know the kids will love it for a long time. The book also has David Copperfield, Bleak House, and a short biography on Dickens. (I've never read those books.)

I realize these stories may have some mature themes for a four year old, such as social justice, politics, and the fact that characters have died in every story we've read so far. I think the way the book is written is appropriate for a child even that young. I try to talk about more difficult concepts with my son when I think some of the story content is above his comprehension. I bought the book though because I want my kids to develop a love of good literature early in life, and so far it's the only book he's wanted to read for the last couple weeks. I definitely recommend this book. I like reading it to my four year old and it will be great once he gets older and learns to read chapter books on his own.

Check out more WIPs by clicking the button below:

  http://www.gsheller.com/2014/08/yarn-along-191.html