Monday, December 29, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 27: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.



The yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick
 
  • 80% acrylic
  • 20% wool
  • 170 grams, 6 ounces;  106 yards, 97 meters
  • Colorway: Charcoal and cranberry

The project: A scarf from an old pattern


What I liked: This yarn is really soft and squishy. It is really warm, thanks to the bulk. It creates a very heavy fabric... I feel like I'm stating the obvious for pretty much any bulky weight yarn. Sorry! I really like how rich the colors are although you can't really tell from the lighting in the photo. My husband tells me it is very comfortable to wear (although he says it is much too hot in 20°-30°F weather).

What I didn't like: Again, I don't have much of a complaint list for this yarn. I came across only one knot in the five skeins I used. It blocks for crap, which might be the result of high acrylic content, although that's pure speculation on my part. When I tried to block it, after it was fully dried and unpinned, it bounced right back to the original size.

Affordability:  I bought mine at Joann's for $8/skein. (Which is kind of ridiculous to me, but I had coupons.)

Rating: I'm giving this a 4-star rating. I'm feeling really neutral about it. It created the desired effect: a super warm, bulky sweater, but there were some minor annoyances with it. I think I'd buy it again if it was on sale though.





For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.