Monday, December 22, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 26: Premier Serenity Sock

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.



The yarn: Premier Serenity Sock Yarn from the Deborah Norville Collection
 
  • 50% super wash merino wool
  • 25% rayon derived from bamboo
  • 25% nylon
  • 50 grams, 1.76 ounces;  230 yards, 210 meters
  • Colorway: Soft white, Sky blue, Black, Navy, Woodsy green, Mahogany










The project: Gansey Potato Peel hat - free on Ravelry. Hipster hat for my son, my own pattern.



What I liked: It was perfect for the project, a fair isle hat for my father in-law. I'm very impressed with this yarn.  No knots in the skein (which happens pretty much every time I buy less expensive yarns). Blocked out really nicely. I love the available colors... I had a hard time selecting colors for the project but I'm super happy with what I chose. I didn't swatch this before beginning the project. Project notes from other Ravelry users said this hat turned out large. This hat was snug when I finished. After blocking it really loosened up but I still wouldn't describe it as large.


What I didn't like: I don't have much of a complaint list for this yarn. I can't think of anything that stands out in my mind that bothered me or that I had problems with.

Rating: I'm definitely giving this a 5-star rating.









Affordability:  I bought mine at Joann's for $3/skein.

For a list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.