Monday, December 15, 2014

FO: Gansey Potato Peel Hat

I finished the hat for my father in-law yesterday.
The pattern used was the Gansey Potato Peel Hat.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out although I wish I hadn't used white as the predominant color.

A couple other things: the consensus of project notes on Ravelry said the hat turned out quite large and roomy although I did not have this problem. I also didn't check gauge. It fits me though, so I think it should be able to fit an adult head just fine.
Tada.

I couldn't figure out how the pattern wanted the decreases done until I asked another Ravelry user about it. You can get details in my project notes but long story short I could not figure out whether the decreases belonged where the beginning of the row was indicated or at the end of the row. I just couldn't visualize it. I also couldn't wrap my pea brain around how the decreases would have a stripe going through them so I didn't really do that either.

Otherwise, I think my fair isle work turned out really well. There's no puckering in any of the stitches and my tension is really even and has room to stretch over someone's head. Overall, I'm really happy with how this turned out.