Monday, September 15, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 25: Marble Chunky

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.



The yarn: James C. Brett Marble Chunky
 
  • 100% acrylic
  • 300 grams, 7.05 ounces;  341 yards, 314 meters
  • Colorway: 40MC










The project: Hoot Cardigan - free on Ravelry.




What I liked:It was perfect for the project, a gender neutral sweater for my cousin's little one since we don't know what she's having. I didn't find out what I was having for two of my little ones, and some gender neutral clothing out there really is not gender neutral. Seeing how this knit up, I can honestly say I would put this on a girl or boy without any hesitation. It is fun to see how the color variations knit up. The skein is huge and the price is right. The metallic element really adds a lot to a project too.


What I didn't like:  It's splitty when you work with it since it's a metallic yarn and a completely separate jewel toned yarn twisted together (in less words, it's plied). It creates a great look but cabling with it is a pain. So is trying to put the needles back on that your toddler takes out of your project. Grr. Also, I encountered three knots just working the body of the sweater and one sleeve. What the... I just hate, hate, hate knots in my yarn. Kind of makes me want to jump off a tall building.

Affordability:  I bought mine at Mrs. I's Yarn Parlor for only $15-16.

Rating: The knots... I mean really. Exasperating. However I love the yarn itself. Despite the fact that it's 100% acrylic, it is so much fun to knit with and the colors are vivid. I love the metallic. But due to the knots issue, I'm giving it a lower rating.










For a complete list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.