Monday, August 18, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 23: Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Glow



Photo true to yarn color
What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.


The yarn: Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Glow

  • 97% alpaca, 3% other (no doubt referring to the tiny sparkle running through the yarn)
  • 100 grams, 3.5 ounces;  110 yards, slightly less than 100 meters
  • Colorway: 9271 (a rich chocolatey brown)




The project: Luckiest Day (for design elements) combined with Packard (for the raglan style) sweater patterns by Maura Kirk


Photo true to yarn color

What I liked: The yarn is so soft and plush. It is bulky weight and lives up to it (I mentioned in the last yarn review that the Cascade seemed to be less bulky after putting it in a skein...not so with this yarn!). It has beautiful, rich color and I love the extra little sparkle running through it. I'm not a fan of sparkly yarn but this had just a little bit to make it interesting and give it a little feminine touch. Sometimes yarn doesn't feel as soft once you put it on since your fingers are calloused, or at least less sensitive, from using them every day of your life. Then when you put on your thneed which you worked so hard on, it itches and you never wear it. This is not that yarn. I love it around my neck and it almost feels softer when I wear it than it did when I was working with it.

What I didn't like: It sheds. Every time I've tried on this sweater to show off for my husband, in-laws, grandparents, etc I always end up with tiny fibers in my face (thank you, glasses), in my mouth, and on my shirts. It does not shed a lot. It sheds hardly at all. But we all know a little bit can go a long way and a few fibers off this plushy, heavenly yarn can drive me nuts for an hour before I find it and pick it off of me. I'm still wearing my rose colored glasses though (still loving this yarn), and while the shedding is very minor, someone with sensitivities might have problems. I think I'm just nit picking instead of critiquing now, but I can always use more yarn and the skeins were on the small side.

Affordability:
 I bought mine at The Yarn Bank in Taylor's Falls, MN. It was $16/skein, give or take a couple cents.

Rating: The softness won me over the instant I buried my fingers into it at the store. It is so wonderful to wear. I really hope to use it again soon.
I think this yarn would also be great for baby blankets and small children's clothing.













For a complete list of Yarn Reviews, click below:



 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.