Monday, July 28, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 22: Cascade Eco+

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Cascade Eco+
  • 100%  wool
  • 250 grams, 8.8 ounces;  478 yards, 437 meters
  • Colorway: Teal














 The project: Luckiest Day combined with Packard sweater patterns by Maura Kirk

This is a more accurate photo of the teal color.



What I liked: Such a huge skein of yarn. I have leftovers after one skein. For an adult sized sweater. It's a rare thing for me. Blocks out really nicely. Beautiful color. It is so very warm and even soft when wearing it, despite my comment on the scratchy feeling while knitting.

What I didn't like: It is kind of scratchy while working with it. It says bulky weight yarn although it took five rows instead of four to get the same width as the brown bulky yarn I paired it with. The yarns looked equal in bulkiness in the skein but after balling them it seemed like the yarn lost that essential bulk. Maybe it was wound too tight in the cake and it was an isolated incident. Maybe it just happens. I don't know.

Affordability: I bought mine at The Yarn Bank in Taylor's Falls, MN. It was $20/skein, give or take a couple dollars.

Rating: There is so much yarn in one skein. It's great. I only needed one skein for that sweater and I still have enough left over for a hat probably. And it is so wonderful to wear. I really hope to use it again soon.













For a complete list of Yarn Reviews, click below:

 

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.