Monday, July 21, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 21: Malabrigo Worsted

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Malabrigo Worsted
  • 100% Merino wool
  • 100 grams, 3.5 ounces;  210 yards, 192  meters
  • Colorway: Verde

The project: Baby outfit from my Bear Brand Baby Knits


Up close on the details



What I liked: So incredibly soft. All of their colors are just gorgeous, not just the green. The way the colors in the yarn came togethIt just happened to be perfect for the pattern. Stays nice even if you frog it. Stays soft and beautiful after blocking (although that might be a silly thing to say since we block things to make them nicer...)

What I didn't like: It is spun a little looser compared to most yarns I prefer. This made me a little nervous before I started knitting it. (However, this wasn't a problem once I started the project.) Also, for good yarn it's a good price but I still generally can't buy $10 skeins of yarn all the time. Especially when I have to drive a minimum of 40 min to the closest yarn store, or any store that sells yarn for that matter. If I didn't have to think about gas economy this really wouldn't be I an issue.

Affordability: I bought mine at Color Crossing in Roberts, WI. It was $10/skein, give or take a couple dollars.

Rating: Knitting with this left me very little to complain about. It is beautiful all around. For a mid range price I love it.














For a complete list of Yarn Reviews, click below: