Monday, June 16, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 20: JoAnn Sensations Dolcetto


What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: JoAnn Sensations Dolcetto
  • 54% wool, 24% nylon polymide, 22% cotton
  • 50 grams, 1.76 ounces;  131 yards,  120 meters
  • Colorway: Lime and yellow

The project: Baby Surplice from my Bear Brand Baby Knits, and a blanket that was intended to go to a friend's newborn (when I bought the yarn in 2007) but my cat ended up with it instead (7 years later).

What I liked: Durable. My cat has abused the blanket quite a bit and it hasn't gotten pilly, overly fuzzy, and it doesn't have any weak spots that I've found yet. She's had it since Sept 2013 so after a few months shy of a year of outdoor use its been holding up well. Pastel hues seem perfect for baby knits and it is so, so soft.

What I didn't like: It gets pretty fuzzy and tangled on itself if frogged. It shrinks like crazy if you machine wash it. So don't do what I did and pair it with machine washable yarn in a project. Also, it partially felted just from one cycle in the wash on the light setting. I had a lot of pulling and stretching to do when I hung it to dry once the surplice finished washing. Do not make the same mistakes I did unless you are using it for felting! I had a feeling that might happen since it's 50% wool but I washed it anyway.

Affordability: I bought mine at JoAnn Fabrics for at or under $5/skein in 2007. According to Ravelry the line had been discontinued. I was unable to find it on the JoAnn website with the other Sensations Yarn lines.

I'm guessing if you really want to use this yarn you could look on eBay, Amazon, or message a Ravelry user who is willing to sell it from their stash.


Rating: Stays soft after long term outdoor use. Sort of outdoor. The cat lives in our entryway and outside. There is hair and the occasional plant material stuck to the blanket but even after being slept on and pawed at, and whatever else a cat does to a blanket, the yarn has remained soft. Buuuuuut, it's discontinued, so I'm mostly giving it a lower rating for that reason because I think I'd definitely use this more if I could still get it easily.


This should really say, "I'll use it if it's given to me because I really liked it, but I won't intentionally buy it again because it's discontinued and would be too big of a hassle."




For a complete list of Yarn Reviews, click below:


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.