Monday, June 2, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 19: Lily Sugar and Cream

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Lily Sugar'n Cream Crafter's Cotton Ombres
  • 100% cotton
  • 135 grams, 4.76 ounces; 81 yards, 74 meters
  • Colorway: Strawberry fraiche


The project: Surplice pattern #2557 from Bear Brand Baby Knits volume 352

What I liked: Good stitch definition. I provided a photo of the crocheted portion of the skein (given to me like that) to give you an idea with knit and crochet. Being machine washable is always a good thing.

What I didn't like:  It's a bit rough and stiff. This was surprising to me. However, in garter stitch it knit up very stretchy. I'm actually concerned about this since I have a bad feeling it will stretch out of shape after washing. And then the green yarn I used will look terrible

Affordability: I was gifted this yarn. But it is available in stores like JoAnn Fabric and others for $2.49/skein.


Rating: I do love the fact that this yarn is so affordable. I'm sure it could be used for a multitude of projects although it didn't impress me much.


Edit 6/7/14: I was requested to comment on how this yarn washes. I threw the sweater in the wash this afternoon. It came out just like it went in, with the same amount of stretch it had before. I machine washed and I hung it to dry. I highly recommend this yarn if you plan on making something that you'll have to wash often since it seems to stay true to it's original shape, size, and stretch.
Click below for a complete list of Yarn Reviews:


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.