Monday, May 26, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 18: Acrylics Edition 3

I've written good things and bad things about man made fibers for yarn review in the past. I've decided to do a series of posts on acrylic yarns since they are not all made equally.

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Lion Brand Homespun
  • 98% acrylic, 2%polyester
  • 170 grams, 6 ounces;  185 yards,  169 meters
  • Colorway: Colonial (I have also used Corinthian but do not have a photo of that project)
Photo source




















The project: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmerman, mitten and ear warmer set that was given to my mom.


What I liked: Durable. My son has played in all types of weather in that sweater and it's still going strong. Machine washable. I like how incredibly soft and thick it is. I think the texture creates a nice thick sweater material which has worked great in the cold autumns we get in Wisconsin. Don't judge the yarn too harshly by my project though, I had quite a few issues deciphering the pattern (this project is a few years old and I didn't have much practice reading patterns at the time). I'd really like to use this yarn for the next bear I make. The ear warmer in the set I gave my mother when I first began knitting (2005/6-ish) still hasn't stretched out of shape and she still wears it. It's almost embarrassing (but that's what moms do, right?).


What I didn't like: I definitely had problems with this yarn during a major frogging at one point with this project. It gets fuzzy and unraveled so if you are anticipating a difficult project I would find a different yarn.

Affordability: I bought mine at JoAnns for $7/skein at regular price.


Rating: Stays soft after repeated wash and wear. I've used it for clothing (featured in this post), accessories, and I think it would be perfect as a toy. So, versatility is a big one for this yarn. Just don't frog it and you'll be fine.













Yarn Reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Caron One Pound
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Cascade 220 Worsted
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
JoAnn's Sensations: Soles and More
Madelinetosh DK
Lion Brand Homespun
Paton's Classic Wool
Patons North America Grace
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Red Heart Super Sport
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.