Monday, May 19, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 17: Acrylics Edition 2

I've written good things and bad things about man made fibers for yarn review in the past. I've decided to do a series of posts on acrylic yarns since they are not all made equally.

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Caron One Pound
  • 100% acrylic
  • 453 grams, 16 ounces;  826 yards,  755 meters
  • Colorway: Deep Violet


The project: Cables and Lace Afghan from the book Quick Knitted Afghans
It is available for free on some websites.
Also, this WIP (Ravelry link) which is currently in a time out for the foreseeable future.



Apologies for the terrible color quality of the photos. The color is much richer and more beautiful than shown.


What I liked: Doesn't split when knitting. Durable. Machine washable. I like using acrylic yarns for afghans due in large part to the ease of washing and the fact that it is a lot more affordable. It got soft after I washed it. This yarn also has no-dye-lot which means for large projects you can really buy as you knit so you don't have a lot leftover. No issues with knots in the skein, even though it is a huge skein. I've also used it for a little coat which seems to be working great for the pattern I'm using.
Details of the cables and lace


What I didn't like: I'm trying to think of something to say for this section although I'm having a hard time coming up with any real problems I had. Since the skein is huge it doesn't allow for easy portability if you want to work on your project on the go. Obviously it isn't the most luxurious yarn you'll use but for acrylic I found it to be pretty good to work with.

Affordability: I bought mine at both Walmart and JoAnns for $8/skein at regular price.


Rating: Since I do love the fact that this yarn is so affordable and easy to work with, and it got softer after washing while retaining the integrity of the stitches, I'm giving it a pretty high rating.











Previous Yarn Reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Cascade 220 Worsted
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
JoAnn's Sensations: Soles and More
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Patons North America Grace
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Red Heart Super Sport
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.