Monday, May 12, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 16: Acrylics Edition 1

First off:














Now that I've got that off my chest, I know there are a multitude of people who don't like acrylics and use only natural fiber yarns.

If I could afford to do that, I would too. But there is a purpose for acrylic yarns and I'm going to do my best to review them as unbiased as I can.

I've written good things and bad things about man made fibers for yarn review in the past. I've decided to do a series of posts on acrylic yarns since they are not all made equally.

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Red Heart Super Sport
  • 100% acrylic
  • 142 grams, 5.01 ounces; 500 yards, 457 meters
  • Colorway: Royal


The project: Ebb Tide Afghan by Barbara Venishnick
It is available for free on numerous websites.



What I liked: Doesn't split when knitting. Durable. Machine washable. I like using acrylic yarns for afghans due in large part to the ease of washing and the fact that it is a lot more affordable. I have only knit two afghans so far and both have been wedding gifts for family members who wouldn't know the first thing about taking care of a blanket made from a natural fiber yarn. Also, this yarn boasts of no-dye-lot which means for something like an afghan, which is easily lengthened or shortened based on the need, you can really buy as you knit so you don't have a lot leftover.


What I didn't like: This yarn is not the most luxurious when it comes down to softness. In fact, it is a bit scratchy and stiff. Also, it was not flexible enough for my first attempt at blocking the afghan to do much of anything... So much for trying to block it! Also, despite using needles that were multiple sizes too large for the pattern gauge requirements, it still turned out rather short even though I made it exactly the way the pattern instructed. I'm going to blame the yarn for that one...

Affordability: I bought mine at both Walmart and JoAnns for less than $4/skein at regular price.


Rating: Since I do love the fact that this yarn is so affordable and easy to work with, I think it helps compensate for the issues with the sizing of the afghan.










Yarn Reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Cascade 220 Worsted
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
JoAnn's Sensations: Soles and More
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Patons North America Grace
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.