Monday, May 5, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 15: Cascade 220 Worsted

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Cascade 220 Worsted
  • 100% wool
  • 3.5oz, 100 grams,  220 yards, 201.2m
  • Colorway: 9462
Photo at left most accurate to yarn colors.

The project: Cables and Lace Hat by Lion Brand



What I liked: Doesn't split when knitting. Durable yet springy. I know this has a lot to do with the pattern I used but it was very stretchy when the project was finished without looking like it was being overstretched or anything like that.


What I didn't like: This yarn felt a bit scratchy during the knitting process. It felt fine once I tried the hat on but this is a concern for me since the person I made the hat for is undergoing chemo, doesn't have hair, and therefore might find it very uncomfortable to wear at this point in her life.

Affordability: I found it in a discount basket and probably paid about $5.00 or less for the skein. You can find it online for anywhere from $8-11 regular price.


Rating: Since I've developed a love for Cascade Yarns in general this five star rating might not count. But there's a reason you love certain yarns. It's the whole package: natural fiber, easy to knit with, fun color ways (I loved how the purple and black seemed so sassy in the skein), and comfortable when worn.












Yarn Reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
JoAnn's Sensations: Soles and More
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Patons North America Grace
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.