Monday, February 17, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 14: Patons North America Grace

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: Patons North America Grace
  • 100% cotton
  • 1.76oz, 50 grams,  136.0 yards, 124.4m
  • Colorways: Cardinal and Lavender

The project: Fred and George Socks by Rachel Coopey. Published in Interweave Knits' Unofficial Harry Potter Knits. This book cover pattern.



What I liked: Doesn't split when knitting. Durable yarn, no weak spots on the sock anywhere even after repeated wash and wear for the last 7-8 months. I also like how durable it is for the book cover. It is on a very old missal (published in about 1940) and I am able to carry it in my order with confidence that it is protecting the book.


What I didn't like: This yarn stretches a lot. A. LOT. The book cover was tight when I made it. I don't use the book often and it barely fits anymore. The sock is so flabby on my foot even after it gets worn straight out of the wash. "You should really stop skipping your test swatches, Christine." Yeah, I should, and I actually did do one for the book. I wasn't exactly planning on washing the book cover though, and haven't yet, so in that case the swatch really would not have helped in planning around the stretching problem.

Affordability: About $5.50/skein.


Rating: We all know what I think about knitting socks so I don't really see myself using it a lot for that particular purpose. However, I also didn't like what it did after use as the book cover, so while this is really durable yarn I don't see myself really using it again unfortunately.















Previous yarn reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
JoAnns Sensations Soles and More
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own