Monday, February 3, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 13: JoAnn's Sensations Soles and More

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: JoAnn's Sensations Soles and More
  • 75% Wool, 25% Nylon
  • 2.12oz, 60 grams, 262 yards, 240 meters
  • Color #2278

Just to warn you, this might sound very similar to the review I did for Red Heart and Sole. I found the yarns to be very similar.
Also just to warn you, this yarn was discontinued according to Ravelry, evidenced by the fact that I cannot find it for sale anywhere, even on the JoAnn's website.
The project: Narcissa Socks by Rachel Coopey. Published in Interweave Knits' Unofficial Harry Potter Knits. 


What I liked: Doesn't really split when knitting. Doesn't stretch out as much while wearing the sock, and gets back to it's original fit after a wash and air-dry. Feels light and warm during wear. The stockinette stitching feels smooth and comfortable on the soles. Even though the striping really down plays the lace, I think that when worn it is kind of fun when, upon a second look, you see the intricate details of the stitching. I also think the socks look fine even though they're mismatched.

What I didn't like: As you can see above, the socks obviously don't match their stripes. I didn't like how long the repeats in the colors were because I felt like I would really have to waste a lot of yarn in order to match the socks perfectly.

Affordability: Again, I was gifted this yarn. Also, it was discontinued as I mentioned at the beginning of the review, so unless you have this stashed I really can't tell you where to get it or for how much. Sorry!

Rating:
We all know what I think about knitting socks so I don't really see myself using it a lot for that particular purpose. However, I just discovered an awesome pattern at one of my favorite craft blogs, Snapdragon Crafts that would probably be a great way to use the leftovers. 

Sorry I have so many four-star ratings lately. I'll try and switch it up soon.








Previous yarn reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Red Heart and Sole
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own