Monday, January 13, 2014

Yarn Review Monday 12: Red Heart and Sole

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.



[Photo source]

The yarn:Red Heart and Sole sock yarn
426 yd/389.5 m
70% wool superwash/30% nylon
Christmas colorway (#3973)


The project: Fred and George socks by Rachel Coopey. Published in Interweave Knits' Unofficial Harry Potter Knits. 


(The main yarn of the sock on your left.) 
What I liked: Doesn't really split when knitting. Doesn't stretch out as much while wearing the sock, and gets back to it's original fit after a wash and air-dry. Feels light and warm during wear. I also just realized while writing this up that it would probably work really nice as the main yarn for a Devan sweater since DGB is impossible/a pain and a half to find in the States. It is also made with aloe, although I'm pretty sure that after wash and wear since I made these socks last summer it's probably washed out by now.

What I didn't like: As you can see on the solid red sock there is some texture to the socks. Yes, I realize it is self patterning yarn but the textured stitches are so basic I was still disappointed they're so hard to see. This is definitely best for stockinette-only projects.

Affordability: I was gifted this yarn. However, you can find it online for $5.79 at the Red Heart website. It can be slightly less or more expensive depending on where you shop.

Rating:
The kicker for me is in the dislike section. Even basic textures do not show up which will limit what you can do (in my humble opinion). I know of some sock patterns that specifically utilize and accentuate what self patterning yarn can do with certain textures, but we all know what I think about knitting socks so I guess I just limit myself.








Previous yarn reviews:
Bernat Boa ( Eyelash yarn; "unofficial" yarn review)
Berroco Vintage (TM) Chunky
Caron Simply Soft Solids and Simply Soft Light
Cascade 220 Sport Weight
Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Sprinkles
DGB Confetti
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
Madelinetosh DK
Paton's Classic Wool
Plymouth Yarns Galway (TM) Worsted
Regia Angora
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.