Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

Just a reminder that today is Veteran's Day. If you don't know any vets, take time to appreciate what the armed services do for you every day. Visit a cemetery and pray for the souls of the deceased vets. They put their lives on the line for us so we can continue living they way we want. You don't need to agree with what they do to appreciate the sacrifices they make for you.

The last time I went on vacation with my mom I was flying out East to visit family. It was August of 2008. I don't remember the exact date. We took the MSP airport. While walking to our terminal we passed a huge group of uniformed individuals waiting at a terminal. They were watching the people go by. I waved, along with a couple random strangers around me, and these men and women immediately began jumping up and down, cheering, and waving.
I couldn't help but cry. I couldn't help but think about how happy all those people were, because they were going to fight for me, so that I can live the way I want, and they had no idea who I was. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of dying for someone I didn't know.
If someone from that group is reading this, that was the first time it really hit me, the first time it really sunk in what you do for us. I am so thankful for that.

Many people blame the troops for unjust wars, and they only see political lines when wars are fought. I'd like to believe this doesn't happen anymore but I would just be kidding myself. If that's you, put all the political issues aside and just think about someone else standing up for you, leaving their families for months and years at a time, witnessing terrible, atrocious things during wartime, so you don't have to.
Their suffering doesn't end when they get home. The injuries, the PTSD, the difficulty getting back into normal society, are all things the servicemen and women are willing to suffer with for you, so you can live a normal life.
The armed services are not about politics. The armed services are about defending our personal freedoms and our Constitution.

Thank you, veterans, for the sacrifices you have made for me. It does not go unappreciated or unnoticed.