Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Christmas Knitting v. 2.0

I think I've figured out how to get all your Christmas gifts done by Christmas.
The second after you resolve to knit gifts, cast on. I don't care if it's December 24, the first day of school for your kids in September, our if it isn't even Easter yet.
This has worked for me so far. People started asking me to knit them socks (ugh...) and as soon as I decided to actually do it (1-3 months later) I cast on. I'm making great time too.
I have a persistent three year old who keeps asking me what I'm making, and when I tell him I'm "making socks for Daddy" he always replies "You making socks for me Mommy? Socks for me?!" To which I reply, No. Might sound mean but this kid has a sharp memory and I don't want him disappointed if I can't actually make some for him. So I think if I still have time I'll have to make a pair of socks to go with the sweater I also made for him as a Christmas gift. I have almost three full skeins of the DGB left from it.

The blue is more accurate but the green looks more
like a kelly green than lime like in the photo.

My Christmas gift progress as of right now:
Saroyan for my sister
Saroyan for my mom
Saroyan for my M-i-L
Narcissa socks for a friend (1 sock done - Ravelry link for pictures)
Fred and George socks for my husband
Stargazing Shawlette for my sister in law

Post blocking, with the extra length I am loving this!
Wish my lighting wasn't so bad so the colors could be accurate.
I must say this: the Stargazer for my sister in law is so so perfect. That was my first experience using Madtosh and I was annoyed and unimpressed about the size of the finished shawl and how it hung. However, after blocking, the thing is the perfect size. It drapes beautifully. She's been having it rough lately so I hope that this perfect shawl puts a smile on her face. She totally deserves it and I don't think I could be more excited about giving an expensive handknit away. Plus, she's been wearing a lot of silk scarves lately so I know it will be loved and worn.

See more beautiful projects by clicking below:
     

11 comments:

  1. Not only are you knitting socks, but you're doing color work as well. Two things I'm too scared to try in knitting. Beautiful stitches so far. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be brave! Color work isn't so bad but sock knitting is tedious for me. Bigger hands and tiny needles make for a lot of hand cramps.

      Delete
  2. You are doing wonderfully! Well done, and socks for Christmas - and more than one pair, wow, is this shock treatment, or pushing the boundaries :)?
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just like to torture myself. It's the only explanation.

      Delete
  3. your sister is going to love her present! I think you need to knit socks for the whole family to keep everyone happy!! Blocking does miracles, doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think blocking is my new best friend.

      Delete
  4. Love Mad Tosh yarn. I live almost around the corner from their shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like an expensive place to live... Haha! I'm jealous. I live around the corner from no yarn stores.

      Delete
  5. Good looking socks and shawl. Madtosh is always so beautiful and I'm sure your sister will love her gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about all the hype while knitting but now I totally get it!

      Delete
  6. Nice job! I need to hurry up and do more Christmas knitting.

    ReplyDelete