Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Visit to the Yarn Garage

I did some Christmas shopping today and decided to check out a new yarn shop. And by new, I mean a shop I haven't been to before.
These are some photos of the Yarn Garage in Rosemont, MN. Make sure you go on a day you have other obligations or you will never leave. Ever. I'm serious.
The back of the store

Wood shelves display amazing
hand painted yarns.



Yarn to the ceiling


















The walls were literally covered in yarn. To the ceilings. You are completely surrounded. It's every yarn addict's dream, and their husband's worst nightmare.
The store is great. It's well lit. It's located in the heart of downtown Rosemount, so it's very convenient to stop in when you're doing other things downtown.

One thing I think is pretty much genius about Yarn Garage is the number of their display projects done with novelty yarns. It can be so difficult to visualize the outcome of a project you are considering knitting in mohair, glittered, sequined, furry, and other outrageous yarns. And the projects are beautiful.

I bought two skeins of Cascade, because I love it, and my very first skein of Madelinetosh. That will become a gift for someone who I know will handle with care, love, and wear the crap out of the gift. I know the future recipient of the yarn will appreciate the work, so I splurged on her.

Tada!


Yarn Garage has a swift available for customers to use if you choose to ball your yarn there, or if you don't have your own. They have events and classes posted on a chalkboard behind the register so you know what's going on and when.

The store is organized more by yarn brands than by yarn weights, unlike a lot of other stores I've been to. Yarn weights increase the higher up the wall you look. I really liked this setup but I am sure it's not convenient for everyone.

Another unique thing about the Yarn Garage is that it has its own yarn produced by and for the store. The yarn is Steven Be and while the yarn is really nice, I had a hard time choking back my sticker shock. Sorry Yarn Garage, I'm just being honest.

I hope I'll be able to visit again soon, when I'm back in the area.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this by the store featured, or anyone else. Opinions are my own.