Monday, September 23, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 9: Galway(TM) Worsted by Plymouth Yarns

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: 
Plymouth's Galway(TM) worsted
100% wool
3.53 oz/100 g; 210 yds/ 192 m

Talking about the yarn front and center


The project: The Little Alfred Cardigan from the 9th Sublime hand knits book.



 
What I liked: The yarn has gorgeous stitch definition. I mean, I don't think I could have used a better pattern as far as textures go, and the yarn shows off all those stripes and beautiful cables like a champ. It is definitely very warm too (of course it is, you say, it's 100% wool), especially with 200g of this stuff condensed into a sweater small enough for a one year old.
Check out the back! Stitch definition ftw!


What I didn't like: It is kind of coarse. But this is also to be expected of certain fibers, and all that textured goodness is why we knit, right? But I bring that up because it seems too coarse for baby knits. Other than that, I really don't have a lot to complain about. It didn't really split on the purled rows of stockinette stitching like most other yarns do. No center pull option.

Where you can buy it: I bought my skeins at A2Z Yarns in Brainard, MN on a mini vacation.

Affordability: $7.25 regular price at the LYS (A2Z Yarns) I purchased it at. 

Overall rating:


 

It sure is wonderful yarn. Easy to work with, doesn't tangle on itself too much when the kids sneak into my knitting bag and mess with my yarn.



Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.