Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Discount Rack?

I made a minor mistake on the cardigan I decided to whip up for my son to wear at my close friend's wedding in October.
Right side. Can you see it? In person it was glaringly obvious.

Hard to see in the photo. There it is.

Wrong side view: you can definitely see it.

But if you couldn't, there it is.
I knit a stitch where it should have been purled. After knitting about two inches past the mistake I noticed it. The knit stitch was right where the sleeve will hang. I though about fixing it: I hate frogging. It won't be noticeable since the arm will be right there. I'd have to rip out so much. No one will see it. But I will know it's there.
I knit a couple more rows. Then I had a revelation. If this were in a clothing store, that mistake would put this on the discount rack. (I'm not overreacting. In real life it was sticking out like a sore thumb!) My hard work doesn't deserve to be discounted.
So I dropped the one stitch and pulled that stitch out down to the mistake and fixed it in less time than it took me to think about it.

I think this revelation is going to make me a lot more willing to frog and make my projects look nicer.
Just finished the right side last night.
Back and left side are ready for arm hole shaping.

The pattern photo

I'm knitting the cardigan in one piece since I loathe piecing everything together in the end of a project. This way all I'll have to sew on are the sleeves and front button bands.

I also mended one of my patient's knit cardigans while working in the wee hours of Monday morning. I had to knit the dropped stitches back together with sewing needles. I swear, I'm the only one who knows how to mend clothing at work--even just sewing buttons back on--and I'm one of the youngest employees by at least 15-20 years! It has become an essential skill on a geri-psych unit.
The needle on top is holding some stitches. I knitted with the bottom two.
At the time (2:30 AM) I didn't think it was a big deal.
My grandmother learned how to knit with hair pins.

This lady has a special place in my heart. A moment with her the other day reminded me why I haven't quit my mundane job of dressing my patients, helping them with the dirty stuff in the bathroom, etc.
It took me an hour to mend but this lady is worth it.
It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but at least the hole is gone.
It's less conspicuous in person. You'll have to trust me on that.
I might do a tutorial on it for the link up at Marigold's Loft this Thursday.
Stay tuned.

Click below for more!