Monday, August 12, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 8: Lion Brand's Fisherman's Wool

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

Last Yarn Review, it may have looked like I was really hating on Lion Brand. But really, I just didn't like that particular yarn they happen to carry. So this time I'm reviewing a yarn from them that I really liked.

The yarn: 
Fisherman's Wool by Lion Brand
100% wool
8oz/227g - 465 yd/425m
Maple Tweed colorway



The projects: Adult Surprise Jacket (scroll down a bit for pattern), Aviatrix, and my own design for cabled children's mittens.



 
What I liked: I love how soft it is when knit, although it felt pretty rough in the making. It is incredibly warm and feels very light as a garment. Has a nice plush, almost bouncy feel to it after it has been knit also. Gets fuzzy, but hasn't pilled yet, even after extended wear as mittens. Good for cold weather play here in the north Midwest.

What I didn't like: The yarn was deceptively scratchy during the knitting process. During long periods of knitting (2+ hours) I would get what seemed like a rug burn on the finger I use to keep yarn tension. I'm pretty sure they only carry natural colors right now, which is not a bad thing. I'm not entirely sure I like it though, because I don't dye my own yarn, don't have time for it, and that limits me a little.

Where you can buy it:  I got mine at JoAnn's. You can also buy directly from Lion Brand (link provided below), and I'm guessing most big craft stores that carry Lion Brand will have it. I also found it for sale from various websites after a quick search.

Affordability: $12.99 from Lion Brand. JoAnn's is currently having a 30% off sale. (As of 8.9.13)

Overall rating:



It's tough, it's versatile, it's incredibly warm, what's not to love?



Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.