Monday, July 29, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 7: Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: 
Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand
100% acrylic
3oz/85g - 145yd/133m
Woods print colorway
3.5 years after finishing the sweater,
 I still have a little in the stash.



The project: Knitting Pure and Simple pattern 991: Neck down Pullover for Men. The first sweater I ever made. It was for my husband, before we got married. Fantastic pattern for raglan, top-down sweaters. Perfect for beginners.



 
What I liked: I liked how the colors striped for the most part, except that weird and obvious black stripe right at the waistline which makes the rest of the striping look kind of funny. It also holds its shape really nicely and hasn't even begun to pill after repeated washing. It was good to use to practice sweater making.

What I didn't like: Only one out of the six or seven skeins I used wasn't full of knots. Not just knots where the yarn was knotted into itself, I can deal with that. It was full of knots where the yarn had ended and was tied together to make the rest of the length. I complained to the company (went to the Lion Brand website and filled out one of their official complaint forms) mid-way through the project and was never responded to. I could have forgiven them if they would have, at the very least, apologized, but I didn't even get that. It was overall a disappointing experience.

Where you can buy it:  I got mine at JoAnn's.

Affordability: $3.99 regularly, but JoAnn's currently (as of 7.26.13) for $2.99

Overall rating:







Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.