Monday, July 15, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 5: Caron Simply Soft

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn: 
Caron Simply Soft Solids, Simply Soft Light
100% acrylic
6 oz/170 g; 315 yds/288 m
Chocolate (Solids) and Hawaiian Sky (Light) color ways





Hawaiian Sky for Simply Soft Light
Appears darker than it is, see project below for a better idea of how it looks.





The projects: The back and accents on the Devan and my Tallulah bolero




 
What I liked: I was able to easily string beads for the beadwork on my bolero. Soft as the name suggests and works well for clothing items. There are also so many colors to choose from. There really is a "sheen" like the description on the JoAnn's website says too. My photos do not show that off.
What I didn't like: It splits from purling but that's to be expected. Otherwise I really don't have a whole lot to complain about.

Where you can buy it: I bought 6 or 7 skeins combined from JoAnn's, both in-store and online. You can also purchase directly from the Caron website.

Affordability: Very. $4.50 regular price at JoAnn's and the Caron website linked to above. 


Overall rating:


 













Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.