Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Another New WIP

Morning edit: Every time I open a tab with your projects, my son exclaims, "Wow, knitting!" If he only did that for me...

So, I cast on, knit 100 stitches, realized I never made sure it wouldn't be twisted. After I fixed that, I got within 180 stitches from the end of the row and saw this:



Why yes that IS my stitch market cast into my first row. So I had to rip the whole thing out. 380 stithes of cast- on plus 200 stitches that I had knit on size 1US needles.
And naturally the yarn knotted on its own fibers so I was unable to frog. The yarn ripped. Yes, ripped. Plus I had to cut my stitch market out. Sick, I know. That's not the best part. I couldn't salvage at least a yard or two of Malabrigo. Grrrrr.

My mother was shocked that I had to start with 380 stitches when we bought the yarn.

"Isn't that an insane amount of stitches?"
"Yeah. You basically make stitches until you want to kill yourself, and then you add some more."

That was the conversation we actually had. And yes, already this project has gotten me to the kill-myself-but-persevere point.


I bought this on Saturday morning. The unofficial Harry Potter knits. The sweaters were the selling point for me. I've come across few sweater patterns that I love enough that I think I could knit well, maintain my motivation to actually finish it, and then the important part, wearing it. I mean really, I am already in love with Ginny's owl sweater and Luna's vest. They're both in the photo above.

I need some help.
What knitting supplies are allowed in carry-on bags when flying? I'm sure I won't get any knitting done because of the kids but I'd like to bring my sweater. It's on circulars and they're very small needles. Is that allowed?
Thanks ladies! See more here:


  

11 comments:

  1. I recall reading somewhere that a lady took her circulars with her on the plane. I can't remember where I read that though - it could have been a forum on Ravelry, perhaps look there :)
    Sorry about the redo, I hate it when that happens, has happened to me on occasion and I always had to make myself fix it then and there otherwise I never would have restarted!
    Can't wait for Friday - looks like we may be close to full house if all goes well, today will tell.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie! I'm looking forward to Friday too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you must have been ready to cry when you saw that stitch marker! Just think of it as cast-on practice :-)

    I think TSA has gotten pretty lenient with knitting. I would leave sharp scissors at home, but I haven't heard of any stories lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are flying in the states you can take any knitting. I would though not take metal needles. Some agents are leary of them and you hate to have to scrap a project and needles at the airport. Also, no scissors with blades 4 in or longer. I tend to only take my little tiny puppy scissors.

    I have been flying in the states quite frequently in the last few years, so I can post this with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information! It really helps.

      Delete
  5. I haven't flown in a while but last time my mother visited (from europe) us (in canada) she brought her Addi Turbo needles on the plane with her without any issues. I saw someone else post they put in a lifeline before boarding and carry a self addressed envelope just in case so they can easily pull out the needle and mail it, while still not loosing your spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not mastered knitting yet, so I crochet mostly. Everytime I pick my knitting needles, I always start off with problems. New follower via gfc from WIP. Would love to have you stop by and check out my page. http://unravelingends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a crochet project into the plane. Knitting? Make sure, the knitting needles don't look dangerous, which means pack them neatly (maybe cover the points), take plastic needles, short needles, circular needles, because they look less threatening.
    Sorry to hear about the start of you new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice. I'm hoping they will be more lenient too since we are just doing domestic travel.

      Delete
  8. I flew from TX to DC with a sock on about 2.25mm circular needles over Memorial Day 2013 and had no issues. I have learned that DPN's are not great for plane rides because you may drop one through the seat into the purse of a woman behind you. Ask me how I know.

    380? whew! That's a lot! Best wishes for the next cast on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should totally consider knitting socks sometime. Silver's Socks Class is a great way to start. Her free online tutorial was SUPER helpful when I was learning.

    ReplyDelete