Monday, June 24, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 3: DGB Confetti

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

The yarn:
DGB Confetti
Colorway 33.03
75% Superwash Wool, 25% Polymide-Nylon
100g (3.5oz), 420m




















The project:
Devan by Holli Yeoh


What I liked: Very cool self-patterning yarn. Maintained its pattern well with 28 stitches all the way up to 90-something stitches. I also really like how high the natural fiber content is. Lastly, and I don't know if all their yarn is like this, but my skeins all had the patterning going the same way. In other words, I didn't have to unravel an entire skein just to start in the same spot so my pieces matched. Bonus point in my book! It also seems really versatile. It is sock yarn but you can do some pretty cool things with it for childrens' clothing as well.

What I didn't like: DGB is a Canadian-based company. The Canada part isn't the problem; It is a supplier for independent sellers so it was a bit difficult for me to find. The 33 series of colors are also being/already are discontinued so during my wild internet hunt for the best deal on it, I had a tough time finding what I wanted.

Where you can buy it: I bought 4 skeins from Double Diamond Knits' Etsy shop. A Google search will offer a few other sites to purchase it from as well.

Affordability: Four skeins plus S&H put me out about $41. That was the best  deal I could find. Prices ranged from $6.75-$9 per skein. Shipping prices were all over the board. All over as in $9 per skein with free shipping to $6 a skein for $7 shipping. Ridiculous, I know!  Do your homework before you buy, that is my advice.


Overall rating:

 Obviously, you can only use it for specific projects. I also am giving it a 4 because of how hard it was to find (and yes, I know I had my heart set on a discontinued colorway)!
I'm not a sock knitter so I don't think I would have wanted to spend so much if it wasn't specified for the pattern.

 



Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Your little guy looks so cute in his new Devan sweater. Little did I know when I first designed the sweater that DGB Confetti was so difficult to find! It had the best price point in my local yarn shops. Any self-patterning sock yarn will work with Devan and my other self-patterning designs. It's fun seeing how each colourway works up. You did a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word! I'm so honored that you've found and commented on my humble little blog!
      I loved your pattern. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time procrastinating because it was really a pleasure to knit!
      Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete