Monday, June 3, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 2: Paton's Classic Wool

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.
The yarn: 
Paton's Classic Wool yarn in kimono, harvest, and lotus color ways.
100% wool
100g (3.5oz)=223 yards


L to R: Lotus, Harvest, Kimono
I used most of my harvest color way for the cardigan so there's no full, pretty skein to show off. I haven't used any of the lotus yet.



The projects: Toddler's cardigan and a tablet cover.

Accurate to yarn colors
What I liked: Durable yet soft. My almost 3yr old son wears this cardigan to the park, to the store, to family visits... He can't get enough of it and it hasn't gotten pilly yet. I gave it to him around September 2012.
The tablet cover has held its shape incredibly well and pills minimally. (The cover I made for my husband was done with an acrylic yarn and that has stretched and does not fit his device properly anymore.)
What I didn't like: Washing the cardi. Despite the initial blocking, it shrank like crazy every time I washed it so I am re blocking now to see if that fixes the problem. Since it does hold shape incredibly well, blocking didn't do much of anything for the cardigan. My rating will be dependent on whether I was able to remedy this shrinking problem.
Affordability: Normally it costs $6.99 at JoAnn Fabrics (see link below). I bought six skeins of it when it was on sale for half off. I'm going to be honest and tell you that I think the $7 price would have deterred me from buying if there hadn't been a good sale going, but I do think that in retrospect it is a fair price considering how long it stays nice.
Where you can get it: I bought mine at JoAnn Fabrics online.

Overall rating:

I think this is best suited for hats, mittens, and other projects you might not normally block but still want shape to hold.




1.30.14 Edit: After a year and a half of continuous and sometimes abusive use, the tablet cover only just developed a weak corner at the end of 2013 (November or December). I definitely love the durability of this yarn.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself. Opinions are my own.