Monday, May 27, 2013

Yarn Review Monday 1: Cascade 220

What is YRM: I honestly believe there are good things and bad things about every type of yarn, no matter how much you save or how much you break the bank. 

This is for the lay-knitter, not professionals. This is for people like me who might not necessarily be fiber experts despite being a crocheter or knitter for a long time, but need an honest opinion about yarn before they dive into a project with it.

Back in November 2012, I bought two skeins of Cascade 220 sport weight yarn to use in a Christmas gift for a family friend.
The yarn:
100% Peruvian wool
Color: #4002, Jet.
50g (1.75oz) skein=150 meters (164 yards)

The project: Nina scarf (beading omitted) from Knitting in the Details by Louisa Harding


Top of photo most true to original yarn color



Why I like this yarn: Feels good on the fingers to knit with and the scarf felt light but warm. Had a nice hang after the scarf was finished and blocked. I also did not have any problems with it tangling in the skein, which I know is a problem for some brands of yarn.

What I didn't like: It split really easily, especially on a purl row. This really slowed me down but it is not something that would deter me from buying it again.

Affordability:  I spent $5.25 on each of the gray skeins shown above. I still have a ton of it left, I would say about one full skein between the two. The scarf is designed so that the flowers are oriented correctly on both halves so it is knit in two pieces and then connected with  3-needle cast off. I thought I used more of the first skein than I actually did, and used the second skein for the second half of the scarf. I think this was a fantastic purchase. There was a lot left over and for $5.25 I think it was a steal.

Where you can get it: I bought mine at Knitter's Palette. The company also has a website, Cascade Yarns.



Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this or asked to review this yarn by any store or the company itself, Cascade Yarns. Opinions are my own.