Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Valuable Lessons

Another Wednesday and I finally feel like my week has been productive. This is a word heavy post so if you don't read it all I won't be offended. (Not that I'd ever find out... Haha)

I finished the top of the coat for my baby sister, worked on my Devan cardi , and cast on this afternoon for a onesie I'm making for my other son. The green is not as pale as the photo shows. It reminds me of the green hay we bale in the summer; I think it's a very summery shade of green. The top and front of it will have some gray and blue colorwork that I will be knitting using leftovers from this project.


I finished Anton the Dove Fancier. This was an amazing book. The writing was not very complicated but it was very thought provoking. It consisted of short stories about different people the author encountered during the Nazi occupation of Germany and by the end of the book, it left you with a feeling that he seemed to be answering the question of "How could this happen? How did we let this happen?" So here are some of the lessons I got from his stories:

1. Never think, "That could never happen," or "No one would allow that to happen."
2. Your enemy could be your neighbor or friend if the reward is worth it for them.
3. You can find help in the most hopeless of situations.
4. Ignoring the warnings of "doomsday-ers" might lead you to a situation you cannot escape from when they are finally right.
5. "This was a typical Nazi tactic: They tried to confuse us, and they always succeeded." -pg 110
6. To go with #1, never think, "this is the 20th/21st century, those things don't happen anymore." This was what the author's father often said to him before they were confined in a ghetto.

And continuing the theme, I finally started Journey for Freedom. I have been looking forward to reading it ever since we saw the author and heard him tell the story of his defection at an event we went to. He even signed the book for us.

These books really make me appreciate what I have as an American citizen. I am guilty of taking my basic freedoms for granted and reading these personal accounts on the struggle, suffering, and hardship that these strong-willed people lived through really puts a new look at something a lot never even think twice about. I highly recommend both of these books.

Until next time, have a wonderful week! Click the buttons below for more projects.

  

6 comments:

  1. Goodness that is a lot of knitting in one basket...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the idea of a yarn that is the colour of green hay. That DOES make me feel summery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that yarn! I bought it at my county Fair last summer, and it has been waiting patiently to be used for a perfect project.

      Delete
  3. So many projects!

    Here's my WIP: http://mibruno.com/en-proceso-78/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided to read through as many Newbery Award books as I can this year...just had that thought a week or two ago! First was number the stars and Nazi scarey for a young reader. I just lost a friend to breast cancer last week, but she was very into this topic as an English teacher and taught an election of Holocaust Studies which ended with a field trip to DC to the museum. I went there and is made you feel so sad. It could happen again. So many people would sell their soul for very little. Just look around. They already are...

    Very nice knitting bucket! I like to travel my projects around...this looks like a good way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, no one realizes how easily it could happen again.

      The bucket is actually one of my son's toy buckets... it is from Wal-Mart or Target. I was looking for something that would fit all my WIPs for the photo!

      Delete