Friday, September 21, 2012

Salsa and Marinara Recipes


As promised, here are the recipes for my sauce and my salsa. The salsa is from the Ball's Blue Book Guide to Preserving with a couple minor changes. The sauce is a tomato sauce recipe from a family member that I have changed quite a bit since I like my tomato sauce thick.

First, the salsa. The amounts are slightly different because of the enormous amount of tomatoes I had.

Jalepeno Salsa
8 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes
5 1/2 cups chopped jalepeno peppers
2 cups chopped onions (we used 2 large onions)
1 bulb garlic
4 Tbsp minced cilantro
4 tsp oregano
3 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2 cups cider vinegar

This is the recipe from the book roughly doubled, and it is the proportions we used. I wanted a larger tomato/jalepeno ratio. The original recipe called for an equal amount of both. Also, after preparing all the peppers without rubber gloves my hands were literally burning and I kept losing and regaining sensations in my one hand for the rest of the night so I was done with chopping peppers anyway (my mom put on rubber gloves and finished chopping them).

Bring all ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Follow your own canning instructions for processing times. Ball says to process the salsa for 15 minutes at a boil.

Marinara Sauce
I don't know specific differences between regular tomato sauce and marinara, but the man of the house thinks it tastes like marinara so I call it that.
75-90 tomatoes. This is at least 12-13 lbs. Skin, seed, and core the tomatoes
2 bulbs of garlic
1 green pepper
2 large onions
Cook those ingredients together and blend in blender. You may choose to skip the blender and put it through a food mill. We put everything through my food mill this year and it saved time.

Put back on stove and add:
8 oz cooking oil
1/2 cup canning or Kosher salt
1/8 cup pepper
2 cups sugar
48 oz tomato paste
Italian seasoning to taste. I think I added at least 4 tablespoons to my batch this year.
Bring the sauce to a boil. Cook at a simmer for about 2 hours. I process the jars for about 45 minutes. Again, follow your instructions for processing times.