Friday, August 24, 2012

Why I Love Double Point Needles

I have two projects I will write about next week that required double point needles (dpn's). Working on these projects (socks and 24 month sized mittens) reminded me of why I love using  dpns so now I'm sharing my love of them with you.

  • They are invaluable for repairing dropped stitches. A smaller dpn will allow you to repair a stitch you notice was dropped so many rows down you would be tempted not to repair it at all. Unfortunately I've done this many times.
  • You can make an awful lot with them: mittens, socks, hats, and if you lost all your straight needles you could make scarves and other small flat projects too.
  • I use them for making cables instead of buying separate cable needles. I also use crochet hooks for cables when my dpns are not handy.
  • I use dpns (or a crochet hook) to take care of the ends of my yarn when I finish what I've been working on, to weave the ends into the body of the project. I use straight needles for this too but I prefer a dpn because they are shorter and easier for me to work with.
I'm looking forward to showing you the little boys' car mittens I made. There will be photos and a pattern up on Tuesday or Wednesday so check back then.

Have a great weekend and good luck with all your knitting endeavors!